יום שני ט"ז בתמוז תשפ"ד 22/07/2024
Search
  • The Mission Continues

    As in the past so it remains today - we were and still are under the selfsame commitment to adhere to the directions of the Gedolei Yisrael, who stand guard against breaches of purity threatening our camp. When we were required to ask – we asked. When we were instructed to depart – we left. The moment we are summoned back to raise the flag, every other consideration is pushed to the side and we answer: We are ready!

    Read More...

בראי היום

  • Harav Yisrael Friedman zy”a, the Rebbe of Husyatin

    מוטי, ויקיפדיה העברית

    The ancestral chain of Harav Yisrael Friedman, the founder of the Husyatin chassidic court, originates with the holy Baal Shem Tov. The Husyatin chassidus has its roots in Galicia and eventually came to Tel Aviv, during the turbulent years between the two World Wars.

    Read More...

Place

  • Maccabi'im Gravesite

    In honour of Chanukah, we will discuss a fascinating, ongoing investigation attempting to establish the place of burial of Mattisyahu Kohen Gadol and his family.

    Read More...

Join Our Mailing List!

Please add a Valid Email Address
Join
Thanks!

In News

'Sde Chemed' Building in Hebron to Be Rebuilt

Yeshivas Shavei Hebron in 'Beit Romano', Hebron, will recreate the house of Rabbi Chezkiyahu Medini zt"l – author of 'Sde Chemed'

Akiva Gottlieb 19/11/2009 12:31

Rabbi Chezkiyahu Medini zt"l, who is more known as the 'Sde Chemed' after the title of his famous books, served as Rosh Yeshiva in Hebron over 100 years ago. During his lifetime, he composed the Talmudic Encyclopedia 'Sde Chemed'. He resided next to the 'Beit Romano' building where the Yeshiva was located, and, in time, many of his talmidim became famous Talmidei Chachamim.

Now, more than one hundred years later, Yeshivas Shavei Hebron is planning a reconstruction of the Sde Chemed's house. The project is expected to cost over 3 million NIS. The restoration of the house includes the living room, the study of the rabbi and his personal library which contained over 10,000 books.

The purpose of the project is 'lehachzir atarah l'yoshnah' – to restore the glory of yesteryear and to turn Hebron into what it once was: a city of Torah. Some of the rooms that are to be restored will serve as a museum where people will be able to learn more about the life of the Sde Chemed.

The Beit Romano building, which hosts the Shavei Hebron Yeshiva, was built in 1876\5636 by Avraham Romano, a wealthy Turkish Jew. The Sde Chemed, who lived right next to Beit Romano, eventually received ownership over the building, after his passing, Beit Romano was bought by Rabbi Shalom Ber of Lubavitch, where he founded his Yeshiva 'Toras Emes' – the first Chabad Yeshiva in Israel. During the 1929 Riots the building served the British Police, and hosted the victims of the massacre until the Jews were expelled from the city.

During the Jordanian rule, the building served as an Arab school, however it was evacuated in 1981after the murder of David Kapolsky. After the tragic murder of six bachurim in Beit Hadassah on Shabbos night, the desire to found a Yeshiva in the city got stronger. 8 pupils of the Mercaz Harav Yeshiva in Jerusalem decided to establish a branch of the Yeshiva in Hebron. The Yeshiva was situated in Beit Romano and was led by the Rosh Yeshiva Rabbi Moshe Bleicher. Unfortunately, only one year after its establishment, a pupil of the Yeshiva, Aharon Gross hy"d, was murdered.

Today, the Shavei Hebron Yeshiva is headed by Rabbi Chananel Etrog and numbers 300 talmidim, including 70 avreichim. The Yeshiva also has several other branches in Kiryat Arba and Mount Hebron. 

 

ישיבת שבי חברון
Beit Romano  [ישיבת שבי חברון]
ישיבת שבי חברון
The Beit Romano building pictured from above [ישיבת שבי חברון]